Short History of Ios
The finds of the archeological excavation on the hill of Skarkos prove that the island has been inhabited since the early Cycladic period.
Evidence of this lies in the very well preserved walls of buildings and the vessels demonstrating the flourishing of an important community. The remnants of the walls on the west and north entrances to Chora lead us to the conclusion that the castle's hill has been inhabited since the archaid period. There are elements that bear witness to the presence of Careans, Pelasgians, Achaeans and Phoenicians, who gave the island the name "Phoenicia".
The Ionians came and settled to the island in 1050 B.C. A version about the origin of the island's name claims that it derives from the name of the Ionians, but this doesn't seem to be valid linguistically, because in such case the name would be "Ionia" or "Ionis". According to another version, the name derives from the Phoenician word "Iion", meaning "a heap of stones".
This version doesn't seem valid either, as we know that the Phoenicians had inhabited places that were much rockier than Ios. Finally, according to the prevailing version, Ios took its name from the violets (Greek "ion") that fill its countryside each spring. The island has been related with the death of the poet Homer, creating a myth that in the course of the centuries turned into a tradition.